Thursday 27 February 2014

The Rise and Fall of Pegvlog

This is a response to a friend's post that can be read here. Riccy covered a number of reasons as to why PegVlog stopped being an active channel, and most of them are quite valid, but I feel that he missed a number that I will address here.

I used to be part of a vlogging channel on YouTube called PegVlog. It was a collaborative channel of a bunch of High School friends trying to stay in contact with one another after graduation.
What started off as a fun and creative project slowly started to fall apart before our eyes.

Issues from Conception
PegVlog was almost set up for fail from the very beginning of it's creation. They first video that was posted on the channel announced how the channel would run and was filmed at a party.
The issue was a portion of the group had been aware of the project for months and been planning it. When it started to be created a few more people wanted to take part immediately. This led to a lack of communication about what the expectations associated with the channel would be. By the time we were uploading our vlogs people felt too awkward to tell people what they were actually supposed to be doing.

The Leaving of the First Member
Initially everyone was quite consistent with uploading. They were on time and regular. Where they great? Nope, not even close. But they were what the project was asking for.
However early on one member realized that between school and work the requirements were overwhelming and she decided after some discussion that she would leave the project.
This became an issue because after suggesting that she leave due to failure to upload on time, it put pressure for these rules to be enforced even more so.

Antagonizing a Member
I'm not going to pretend it wasn't me. I became the "Nazi" of the group because I felt that the only real rule we had for the project was important to enforce. I became the unofficial PegVlog "leader" and people started to resent me for my policing of uploads.
Uploads became infrequent by certain members and I felt the need to upload our promise of weekly content.
It became clear that I viewed PegVlog as much more of a commitment than others did.

I had never wanted to be the "leader" (I say "leader" because I had no real control and my pressuring for uploads rarely proved fruitful) but I seemingly became one, which resulted in me having duties that I had no desire to fulfill (i.e. telling someone who wanted to join PegVlog that they were not a logical member since they didn't know half the group).

Vlogging Development 
Just like everything in life, when you get a group of people to start something new they will all develop at different rates. Some of our group proved to be quite competent vloggers where as others struggled to advance from early videos. This led to an imbalance in the group and the desire for people to pursue channels and upload content outside of PegVlog.
I know I personally had planned my leaving of PegVlog from about Halloween of second year, deciding to switch to my personal channel in the coming new year.

I don't think PegVlog was a failure. There was a lot to learn from the project as a whole and it proved to be a lot of fun (or at least I thought it was). It also allowed me to discover my love of vlogging (I really miss it and keep intending to upload videos, but I always end up putting it off).
There were many reasons why PegVlog died, and these are only a few of the ones I find the most important causes. There was also a great deal of unrealistic expectations associated with viewership and fellow PegVloggers occasionally turning against each other based on uploaded content.

In short, PegVlog was a thing, and now it's not, but it was fun while it lasted.

Go watch this video, kthxbye

1 comment:

  1. I missed reasons cuz I was trying to relate how Pegvlog's problems became PTE's solutions, easier said than done haha. I managed to cause a bit of a firestorm because of my poor writing, but it also seems to have stirred up some conversation, so sort of success :)

    I think your development of vlogs portion really hits the nail on the head. The project kind of tried to expand, but with the initial rules in place it was sort of held back. That and the lack of comments/views and the "post on your day" things probably shot most inspirations down.
    Also I know some people just felt so not confident in their vlogs that they stopped because they thought they weren't up to par. So even quality of vlogs ended up weening out people. (though argueably that couldve also just been an outing excuse to quit vlogging. This topic is so complex gah!)

    I agree it was fun, would do another project someday if I had the chance, though I think after Pegvlog, everyone's done with collaborations haha.

    ReplyDelete