Tuesday 11 February 2014

Infinity and Oblivion: A Dichotomy Diverging Into One

Prepare yourself. I'm about to go all rambley, philosophically, existential on you.

The other day I was rather cynical as I sat at work fuming about how it was open mic night (again) and how it was filled with mediocre at best -and usually much much worse, singers.
One that that for whatever reason I found particularly annoying that evening was how seriously these different musicians took themselves.
The requirement to perform was that the songs had to be original, so covers weren't allowed, and for whatever reason this would prompt long intros to each song about the "inspiration" behind the song. And I was sitting at my desk working and thinking, no one cares!
I mean, in a different environment, sure, someone may care, but at open mic night? Nope.
The audience at open mic night isn't so much an audience as much as a bunch of musicians all waiting impatiently for their turn to perform. They don't care about what the people performing before them are doing, much less a five minute speech about their creative process.
These people come to open mic night, are the self inflicted captive audience all waiting for their turn to sing into a void of nothingness with the belief that they're important and that people actually care.

Am I being too negative? Probably, but I was grumpy from having to listen to some guy sing that literally sounded like a cat protesting to being given a bath -no jokes.

I was thinking of this nothingless void, of where things and energy goes when no one is there to appreciate it. Of oblivion.
This led me to think of the opposite of oblivion, of infinity, and specifically how the two relate with life.

The idea of oblivion terrifies me, that after death there is nothing, I don't like that idea, I don't personally accept that idea, but it's one of those ideas that creeps into your head in the middle of the night.

I then started to think about immortality, which reminded me of this short story I read in high school.
What if we were all immortal, if everyone had all the time in the world to do everything.
The story suggested that there would be two groups of people in the world:

  1. The group that wants to do everything and since you have all the time in the world, you do everything.
  2. The group that does nothing, because if you have all the time in the world you can always do it later.
I thought about this story a lot, and it started to scare me. What group would I be in? There is so many things I want to do in life, and I do always fear that I won't be able to do everything. I want to travel the world, learn to dance, do a martial art, learn new languages, be a published writer, climb a mountain, and the list goes on.
But I think about how what often pushes me to do some of these things, is knowing that I may not get another chance to do it again. That splurging on experiences often stems from the fear of it being a once in a lifetime opportunity.
But if nothing is a once in a lifetime opportunity there isn't the pressure to do things, there isn't that driving force that keeps people going. Would I be able to self motivate myself with that? I struggle to self motivate enough as it stands sometimes.
Would I be part of the lazy group that does nothing because you can always do it later?
I don't want to be, but would I?


Two things:
Infinity and oblivion.
So drastically different- 
They are the opposite. 
And yet, 
They come together while moving
Apart as they are alike.
A distopic reality of nothing.

1 comment: