Wednesday 23 September 2015

Homesick

I am homesick, but not for a place. I am homesick for an idea, for a "what if".
I am mourning the loss of a path I did not take, despite the fact that I think I took the correct path.

I have spent the past four years of my life working towards attaining an English degree with the intention of pursuing education.
Throughout that four years I questioned my decision to go in to Education after I graduated. I wondered if that was the correct decision.
I contemplated other pursuits. A master's degree? Going in to publishing? Journalism?
I ended up choosing Education like I originally planned, but since classes have started up I feel homesick for my old degree.

I miss the buildings that I had my classes in.
I miss the locker I had for 3 years.
I miss getting starbucks every Friday morning before my 8:30 class.

These are weird things to miss.

I'm finding Education less stressful that English was, at least so far.
I have fewer assignments that I did before.
I haven't had to pull any all nighters yet.

I miss writing papers.
I miss MLA format.
I miss sitting on the floor of the library at lunch.

Did I make the wrong decision by choosing Education?
Did I choose Education because it was what seemed easy and safe and logical?

Or is this just a case of viewing the past with rose coloured glasses?
That your memory erases the frustration and annoyance when you reminisce.
The power of nostalgia overwhelming me.

I don't even know anymore.
I ate my lunch on the floor of the library today.

2 comments:

  1. I think it may be a case of rose-coloured glasses. Now that I'm not in school at all, I definitely miss school and rehearsals and lessons sometimes, but then I remind myself of all the times I was so stressed out and wanted to get out so bad. Like, yeah, there were some really great times. But there were also hard times. Now is not better or worse, just different. And if you decide later you'd rather take a different path, you still can. It's never really too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaaaaaaaaaaange!

    Agreed With Snowfire ^

    You just gotta roll with it, try to find what makes this new gambit greater. Get excited for the future as much as you're longing for the past.

    ReplyDelete