Wednesday 16 July 2014

Update of the Past Month

So I haven't posted in awhile, mostly because a lot of stuff has been happening. (Lots of sadness and stress unfortunately)

Last we spoke, my beloved dog, Shelby, had passed away.
A week later her brother, Joey, started to act in a similar manner and we had to put him down too.
It was so much all at once, and it was heart breaking.
I am no longer a pet owner, and have spent the vast majority of my life owning a pet of some sort or another. Tragic is really the only word that I can think that begins to describe this situation.

Recently I've been dealing with working a lot. Bleh. But I'm managing. I enjoy my job, which always helps.
June is always a crazy month for work because teachers come to finish off their budgets for the year all at once and you pretty much run around like a chicken with no head for a few weeks. Yikes!

Canada Day was excellent. I went to the living flag in the morning. It was quite wet and cold, but fun. Later the weather cleared up in time for the annual BBQ at my house. Then everyone headed to the park where we all ran around and played football and watched fireworks and it was super awesome!
It's like a combination of all my favourite things. Awesome friends, yummy food, running around having fun, and fire works!
(Plus it's one of the few stat holidays that the store I work at is actually closed.)

There hasn't been a lot of other super exciting things. I've hung out with friends, seen a few movies (Oh my goodness, How To Train Your Dragon 2 is amazing!), and yesterday I went to the Zoo.
I love the zoo, but I always feel conflicted about it. It's a lot of fun, and I really enjoy seeing all the amazing different animals, but I can't help but wonder if it is cruel to keep animals in captivity.
I know that a lot of animals are in zoos because either a) they were bred in captivity and were never actually wild animals, b) they are rehabilitating injured/ill animals with intention of reintroducing them to the wild at a future time, or c) the animal population is in jeopardy and they are part of a breeding program to sustain the population.
But sometimes the enclosures seem so small, and the animals so bored, and I can't help but wonder if even the help that zoos do, is perhaps not worth it, or not fair to the animals.

Also, one of my favourite parts of the Winnipeg Zoo is actually the butterfly garden. It's just this giant screened garden area where there are butterflies everywhere. It is one of the most peaceful areas I can think of I just love being in there. I actually wish it wasn't part of the zoo, and was just a part of the park that the zoo is located in because I would love to just relax inside the garden all the time. Imagine waking up and walking to the park to go sit in a beautiful garden and have butterflies all around you as you sip your morning coffee and enjoy whatever novel you're currently reading (which happens to be The Little Prince for me right now -such a delightful little read that I can't believe I'd put off for so long). Sadly it is part of the zoo, and paying $20 admission is a little steep if you only want to sit and read for an hour or so. Maybe one day I'll do this though, just because it seems like such a peaceful idea. But yeah, pretty butterflies and flowers, and it's just so beautiful. I was taking a bunch of pictures at the zoo, and I have a few of most of the animals, a lot of pictures of the red panda (so cute), and then a bajillion of different butterflies.

Also, I've been revamping my tumblr, and intend to actually start using it (for more than just spamming your dash with Nigel Thornberry faceswaps -although I'm not saying goodbye to Nigel all together, how could someone do that?).
It's a bit of a complicated reason as to why I want to start using Tumblr more, mostly revolving around growing tired of the communities on other websites I frequent, but I'll explain it at a later time perhaps.
If you want to check it out, and maybe follow me, you can so so here, or you know, whatever.


1 comment:

  1. I get the feeling they charge for the butterflies so that readers don't spam the cage, haha.

    ReplyDelete