Monday 27 October 2014

Sick Days

So I've been sick for nearly two weeks now, and it's getting ridiculous.

I was bedridden for an entire week because I had super high fevers. I got sick on a Wednesday night just before I had work. I went to work and was super miserable the entire time, and when I got home discovered I had a fever. After being sick for a few days and the fevers not letting up, I was taken to the doctor to see what was going on.
The doctor thought I had either strep throat or mono (apparently the symptoms are super similar) so I got to do a bunch of tests including a blood test (I hate needles) to check for that. I was then given antibiotics and sent on my merry way.
I then proceeded to miss three days of work. Where I work being sick is both a big deal and not a big deal. When you're sick, you don't have to do silly things like bring in doctor's notes, because they trust that you actually are sick, but there is a high amount of pressure to try and find someone to replace you, which when you're sick, is one of the last things you want to do, and when you work at a place that is super short staffed at the present time (like I do) can be dare near impossible. The first two shifts that I called in, I wasn't able to find someone to cover me, so I'm assuming they just worked short staffed that day, and I felt super bad, but there was nothing I could do about it.
The last shift that I called in for, I found someone to cover my shift after calling literally everyone I possibly could have, and someone finally willing to take my shift. I almost started crying I was so grateful that I wouldn't have to call in the next day and say sorry but I can't help you out.

After I had been on the antibiotics and it now being a week since I originally got sick, I went back to the doctor. The doctor then decided that I didn't have strep throat or mono but bronchitis. I was given a new set of  antibiotics. I then proceeded to go to work that evening, and was completely exhausted when I got home.
I get off work usually at 10pm (sometimes 11pm on Friday or Saturday nights if I'm unfortunate enough to get stuck with such a shift).
Usually when I get home I relax for an hour, watch some TV, read a little bit, maybe do some homework, and then go to bed. This particular night I took my medication and went straight to bed. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. I was that tired.

I have since started to go to classes again and work fairly normally (I got sent home early on Friday because it was an insanely busy 8 hour shift, and I was pretty much dead at that point).
My current problem is that I'm not sick enough to justify staying home, but I'm still very sick. I'm coughing constantly, but the main issue is that I'm just so tired. I stagger from one place to another, pretty much barely making it until I can sit down, and struggle to stay semi-conscious is my classes.
Plus I have so much homework and stress to deal with now.
For the next month I have 2 assignments due each week, and I'm stressed out about these assignments, but I also am struggling to get them done because I get home from classes and all I can really do is proceed to take a 3 hour nap because my body is just drained.

This cold is seriously screwing me over. Why can't I live in a world where everything will actually wait until I'm fully better before I need to stress about getting it done?
Oh well, time to write an essay. Or take another nap. I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like your immune system just got fucked because you were so stressed in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've already had this post!
    http://papertrainexpress.blogspot.ca/2013/01/crack.html
    "Finally get home, crash. 8pm. I don't sleep at 8pm. Ever."

    Have you learned nothing from me?!

    ReplyDelete